– Egypt’s health ministry discloses that a foreigner infected with the coronavirus entered the country and had been put in isolation in hospital
– The health ministry says it immediately informed the World Health Organization (WHO) and had taken all necessary preventative measures to contain the spread of the disease
– However, the authorities did not disclose give the nationality of the affected person, or any other details
Coronavirus appears to have spread to Africa after Egypt on Friday, February 14, confirmed its first case of the disease.
Egypt’s health ministry disclosed in a statement that the affected person was a foreigner who had been put into isolation in hospital, Reuters reports.
The ministry said it immediately informed the World Health Organization (WHO) and had taken all necessary preventative measures to contain the spread of the disease.
The authorities did not disclose give the nationality of the affected person, or any other details.
Confirming the case, WHO Eastern Mediterranean on twitter handle @WHOEMRO, said the person was carrying the virus, but had not shown any symptoms and was in a stable condition.
It said WHO Egypt and the country’s health agencies are collaborating closely in outbreak investigation and response actions.
WHO Egypt said on Twitter the person was carrying the virus, but had not shown any symptoms and was in a stable condition.
In another report, following the government’s assurance that coronavirus can be contained if it finds its way into the country, Nigerians have claimed that they don’t trust the federal government over it.
This was contained in response to polls conducted by Legit.ng on Twitter and Facebook. Among Facebook users, 82% of Nigerians said they don’t trust the FG in containing the spread of the virus while only 18% back the government to contain it.
On the other hand, the majority of respondents on Twitter also said they don’t trust the FG. Specifically, 63% say they don’t trust the FG while those that trust the FG and those who are unsure share the same 15%.
PAY ATTENTION: Get the Latest Nigerian News Anywhere 24/7. Spend less on the Internet!
Ihekweazu said water samples from affected areas have been been sent to the federal ministry of water resources for further analysis.
He said samples tested at the NCDC National Reference Laboratory came out to be negative for major viral haemorrhagic fevers (VHFs), which refer to a group of diseases caused by viruses such as Ebola and Marburg, Lassa fever, and yellow fever.
The NCDC DG also asked health workers to be on the alert over the disease while investigation continues. The disease was said to have been reported first on January 29 in Oye, Obi local government area of Benue.
In another report, about four persons have been confirmed dead with not less than 15 others receiving treatment in the Oye-Obi in Obi local government area of Benue state.
According to Andyson Egbodo, the new president of Igede national youths council, each of the deceased showed the same symptoms which are headache, internal heat, diarrhoea, vomiting, stomach ache, weakness of the body and swollen stomach, The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports.
NAIJ.com (naija.ng) -> Legit.ng We keep evolving to serve our readers better.
Coronavirus: No Nigerian has been infected – Chinese Ambassador | Legit TV